Welcome to Sumner Bays Union Trust Learning Exchange. It’s still in the development stages at the moment and we’d love your help in creating it.
What is a Learning Exchange?
A learning exchange is a community-led form of education and skills swapping. It allows people with skills or knowledge of a certain topic to teach their skills to other people.
It works on the principle of reciprocity and the belief that everyone has a skill worth sharing.
How does it work?
The learning exchange, when set up, will provide a structure for people to plan and deliver learning events. Teaching is voluntary, or can be exchanged for time bank hours.
If you want to deliver a learning event, through the learning exchange, you will be able to:
- find a suitable venue and book a learning event
- promote a learning event/attract learners
- get help and tips on planning and delivering a successful session
- claim back the cost of materials
The exchange will also allow people to:
- request/suggest courses and workshops they’d be interested in learning
- take courses/workshops for low or no cost
What kind of courses will run?
The courses that the Learning Exchange can run are limited only by our imagination. That’s why, as a starter, we’re surveying to find out what people are interested in, and what people can teach.
Here are just a few suggestions/requests for workshops we’ve already had from initial conversations with people:
- Te Reo Maori – learning your mihi
- Filling out a tax return
- Basic sewing and mending
- How to back a trailer
- Basic principles of photography
- Macrame workshop
- Natural cleaning solutions for your home
- Gender identity
- Plant-based cooking
- Companion planting
That’s just a few ideas. The beauty of a learning exchange is, you don’t have to be a professional to share your passion.
How you can help
Right now, you can help by completing this survey, to help give us an idea of how a learning exchange can best serve our local community.
You can also help by:
- Sharing the survey with your friends and networks
- Getting in touch with email@example.com if you have a great idea for a course, or know of a venue which could be used
If you have any questions or ideas, please contact Eve on 0210 262 0661